Elected to the Bar: 2023
Liability limited by a Scheme approved under the Professional Standards Legislation
Nicholas Ellery is a leading practitioner in industrial relations, employment, workplace health and safety and related fields.
Nick brings a commercial and solutions focused style. He understands the client perspective in difficult legal disputes. He joined the Bar after a 24 year career at Corrs Chambers Westgarth, where he managed the Perth workplace and safety practice, led the Perth office as Partner in Charge for over 10 years, and served on the national Board.
In industrial relations he is experienced in all types of disputes and proceedings arising under state and federal legislation, contracts and regulatory matters. Nick has represented both employers and regulators on a broad range of matters including underpayments, union coverage and bargaining disputes. He has advised widely in the employment field, including restraint of trade, whistleblower investigations, sexual harassment, bullying, and general protections.
Nick has managed a wide range of high profile and complex safety matters in almost all jurisdictions, including specialist fields such as rail, mine, radiation, oil and gas, and maritime.
He served on the Board of the Employment Law Centre of WA (now part of Circle Green) for over 10 years and is a National Committee member of the Australian Labour Law Association.
Date of admission: 3 May 1993 (Victoria); 20 December 1996 (Western Australia)
Qualifications: Bachelor of Laws (UWA)
Areas of practice
- Industrial and Employment
- Employment benefits | disputes
- Employment contracts | disputes
- Independent contractor disputes
- Industrial/union disputes
- Investigations | inquiries
- Public sector arbitration | appeals
- Restraint of trade
- Statutory employment rights (unfair dismissal; general protections etc)
- Work health and safety criminal prosecutions
- Work Health and Safety Tribunal
- Workplace bullying and sexual harassment
- Inquests and Inquiries
- Public and Administrative