Elected to the Bar: 2020
Liability limited by a Scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation
Joel joined the bar after a successful career as a barrister and solicitor practicing in insurance law.
Joel was previously Partner in Charge of the Perth office of a national firm. Before that, Joel was a partner of another national firm specialising in insurance law. Joel has been consistently recognised as a leading insurance lawyer, appearing in The Best Lawyers in Australia and Doyle’s Guide since 2014 in various insurance practice areas.
Joel is renowned for being accessible to his clients and delivers prompt, pragmatic and comprehensive analysis and advice. Joel communicates complex legal concepts and analysis in plain language. He develops clear and precise litigation strategies.
Joel is an experienced advocate and has appeared as counsel in various Courts and Tribunals, including:
- District Court of Western Australia
- Supreme Court of Western Australia
- WA Court of Appeal
- Coroners Court of WA
- Arbitration Service, WorkCover WA
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- High Court of Australia.
- Examples are Beer v Duracraft Pty Ltd  WASCA 192, Tamboritha Consultants Pty Ltd v Knight (2008) 58 SR (WA) 291, George v Qube Ports Pty Ltd  WADC 97, Pimley v Fremantle Sailing Club Inc  WADC 156, Uprety v Serco Australia Pty Ltd  WADC 53, Dossett v TKJ Nominees Pty Ltd (2003) 218 CLR 1, De San Miguel v Ryanex Pty Ltd (2003) 34 SR (WA) 330, Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd v Whyte Compensation Magistrates’ Court, unreported, Appeal No. CM-24/05, 23 June 2005 and Pilbara Iron Pty Ltd v Co-Operative Bulk Handling Ltd  WACC C12-2010.
Joel is a previous WA Committee member for the Australian Insurance Law Association, having served on the committee for 10 years, three of those as treasurer. Joel is a strong supporter of continuing legal education, regularly presenting to clients, firms and profession organisations on the latest legal developments.
Date of admission: 20 December 2002
Qualifications: BSc; LLB
Areas of practice
- Common Law and Personal Injury
- Industrial and Employment
- Inquests and Inquiries