Elected to the Bar: 2022
Liability limited by a Scheme approved under the Professional Standards Legislation
Sam has a broad practice which includes public law, criminal law, and industrial and employment law.
From 2016 to 2022, Sam was employed at the State Solicitor’s Office where he acted as counsel in a wide range of civil and criminal matters at both the trial and appellate level, including complex regulatory prosecutions, criminal appeals, judicial review applications, merits review applications, civil disputes, and coronial inquests. In 2022, he appeared twice as junior counsel in the High Court in constitutional matters.
Immediately before joining the Bar, Sam practiced extensively in public sector industrial relations and employment law. He has also previously undertaken a secondment at the Corruption and Crime Commission.
Sam holds a Master of Law with First Class Honours from the University of Cambridge and a Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours from the University of Western Australia, where he has tutored in public law, torts, equity, and trusts.
Date of admission: 2017
Qualifications: BA (WAust), LLB (Hons 1) (WAust), LLM (Hons 1) (Cantab)
Areas of practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Environment and Planning
- Industrial and Employment
- Employment benefits | disputes
- Employment contracts | disputes
- Independent contractor disputes
- Industrial/union disputes
- Investigations | inquiries
- Public sector arbitration | appeals
- Statutory employment rights (unfair dismissal; general protections etc)
- Work health and safety criminal prosecutions
- Inquests and Inquiries
- Public and Administrative