Elected to the Bar: 2013
Liability limited by a Scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation
Robert French is a dispute resolution lawyer with experience in Hong Kong, Victoria and Western Australia. His practice primarily comprises commercial, administrative and employment law.
Robert joined the Bar in 2013 and has appeared in all courts since that time. He has appeared unled in appeals to the Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia and to the High Court (special leave only) in proceedings where he appeared on behalf of the Minister for Immigration & Border Protection.
In the employment law context, he has appeared unled for employers and employees in Fair Work Australia, the Federal Court of Australia (including the Full Court of the Federal Court) and the Federal Magistrates Court in a range of employment related disputes.
Prior to joining the Bar, Robert was a managing associate in the dispute resolution team at an international firm in Hong Kong. Here, he gained experience acting for and against regulators in large contentious regulatory matters – including acting for large financial institutions in matters involving the Securities & Futures Commission, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority and the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
He also worked for two national firms in Victoria – in both Commercial Litigation and Employment Relations teams – acting for a company director in insider trading proceedings brought by ASIC and for the Australian Building & Construction Commission and the Fair Work Ombudsman in industrial relations disputes.
Date of admission: March 2005
Areas of practice
- Common Law and Personal Injury
- Industrial and Employment
- Employment benefits | disputes
- Employment contracts | disputes
- Independent contractor disputes
- Industrial/union disputes
- Investigations | inquiries
- Public sector arbitration | appeals
- Restraint of trade
- Statutory employment rights (unfair dismissal; general protections etc)
- Work health and safety criminal prosecutions
- Work Health and Safety Tribunal
- Public and Administrative