Elected to the Bar: 2017
Liability limited by a Scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation
Mark Gerus has extensive experience in commercial, corporate and resources litigation, having previously been the founding litigation partner at boutique firm Blakiston & Crabb and a partner at Gilbert + Tobin.
He is recognised for his specialist experience in the resources sector. For example, he:
- Acts for resource companies in complex disputes relating to mining tenements, the sale and purchase of mining projects, joint ventures, royalties, termination of contracts, State Agreements and director’s duties.
- Regularly appears as counsel on behalf of mining and exploration companies in the Mining Warden’s Court in relation to all aspects of the Mining Act and ‘bet the company’ litigation relating to mining tenements.
- Conducts applications for the judicial review of the State and Commonwealth Ministerial decisions relating to major resource projects.
- Advises Australian resource companies in relation to disputes and litigation arising from international operations
Mark has been recognised in Best Lawyers for Litigation, Mining Law and Natural Resources Law as well as The Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide, Doyle’s Guide and Benchmark Asia Pacific.
Date of admission: 1993
Qualifications: LLB (UWA), LLM (University of Melbourne)
Areas of practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Common Law and Personal Injury
- Environment and Planning
- Industrial and Employment
- Inquests and Inquiries
- Native Title
- Public and Administrative
- White collar and corporate crime